Making your face appear thinner can be as simple as choosing the right haircut or accessories. You can even use makeup to give the illusion of a slimmer face.
Another way to make a face thinner is by losing body weight in general. It is not possible to lose weight only on the face, losing weight, in general, may help to slim the face.
There are also helpful lifestyle changes a person can make to reduce weight and puffiness in the face. Incorporating facial exercises and massage to get a slimmer, more toned-looking face is also effective.
It is also important to check with a doctor since there are some conditions and medications that can cause weight gain on the face.
Choosing the Right Hairstyles
Finding a flattering haircut for round faces can frame the face in the best way to get a thinner look. When getting a haircut, someone with a round face should stay away from blunt lines. Hard lines tend to look very young and make the face appear rounder than it is.
There are many haircuts to choose from and certain styles are well known for making round-shaped faces appear thinner. Some good haircuts for people with round faces include:
- Long Bob (“Lob”)
- Long Layers
- Side Bangs
Other factors for choosing a hairstyle to make the face appear thinner include:
- Parting the Hair – a side parting of the hair is considered a way to make the face look thinner. A center part makes the face look round. A good rule of thumb to find the most flattering, face-slimming part: use the arch of your eyebrow as a guide. Start the part above the arch and go back from there in a straight line.
- Style of Bangs – people with bangs should consider what style bangs can do for a face frame. Soft side bangs create a natural frame around the face, while longer layers downplay a rounder shape. Avoid short bangs, which make the face seem wider and rounder.
- Add Volume – hair that lies too flat on the head makes a full face appear even bigger. Add slight volume in the crown to slim a round face. Lightly tease the hair near the crown; keep the rest smooth and past your shoulders for a sleeker look.
- Try a Ponytail or an Updo – building extra height at the crown of the head narrows round features and makes the face seem thinner. For a simple hairstyle, twist hair into a high knot and fasten it with a barrette. Or try a ponytail for the most slimming effect, match the ponytail height to the tips of your cheekbones.
- Color Your Hair Darker Around Your Face – lighter, face-framing highlights open up the face, making it appear wider. Darker tones, on the other hand, have a slimming effect. So keep the strands closest to the face a shade or two darker than the rest of your hair. For guys, a beard is a great idea for making the face look slimmer. It will help create contrast while a pointed beard or goatee will stretch out the face.
Makeup Techniques for a Thinner Looking Face
Makeup is a great way to improve a person’s look and feel. It is also a popular way to make a round face look thinner. Contouring is maybe considered the most crucial method but there are many more options to achieve the desired look.
With contouring makeup, a person can actually make their face look narrower. Items needed include, contour color, highlight color, a brush, and a beauty sponge.
Start by finding a contour color. Use either concealer or bronzer for this. These products should be two shades darker than your skin tone. Also needed is a highlighter and or concealer. This should also be a shade lighter than your skin tone.
Once these items are picked out the next step is application. To successfully contour the face, follow the steps below:
- Apply foundation that matches your skin tone and be sure to blend it well with the help of a brush or sponge.
- Apply highlight that is two shades lighter than your skin tone to your cheekbones and blend it towards your eyes with the help of a small brush. Aim for a shape like flipped-over triangles as this will make your cheekbones seem more angled.
- Add a thin line of highlight to the bridge of your nose.
- Add another upside-down triangle of highlight between your eyebrows and blend it upwards towards your hairline.
- If you don’t have a prominent chin, apply some highlighting powder to your chin as this will make your face seem longer.
- Smear bronzer that is a shade darker than your skin beneath your cheekbones. As a guide, pout like a fish and apply the bronzer to the indentation of your cheeks.
- Make your nose appear thinner by using the bronzer to contour the sides of your nose.
- Apply a bit of bronzer to both sides of your temple.
- Give your jaw a more angled look by applying bronzer under and along your jawline. Focus less on the chin and more on the middle of your jaw.
- Now, blend everything you’ve applied into your foundation with the help of a fluffy brush, or a blending sponge if you used cream-based makeup. Do this until your face looks smooth and slim.
If contouring the face seems like too much work, it is possible to still achieve impressive results by applying more elaborate eye makeup. This will make people focus more on the eyes than the face. Try applying eyeliner in a cat eye style or a wingtip style. By focusing the makeup more on the eyes’ outer corners, you will make your eyes seem larger and your face narrower.
Also good to use is highlighting powder and bronzer to contour the lips and make them look fuller. This will take people’s focus away from the cheeks and more to the lips. Cap it all off with bright lipstick.
Lifestyle Changes to Promote a Thinner Face
To achieve a thinner and healthier face, there are many different actions to take that can produce legitimate results. Losing weight in your body is the best way to promote weight loss in the face. Losing weight takes time and hard work, but even a modest weight loss can provide lasting health benefits.
Check your diet for foods and drinks that might cause puffiness. Certain foods may contribute to bloating, which could cause the face to look puffy. Try keeping a food diary to see what foods might contribute to bloating. Try an elimination diet if you notice that certain foods are problematic. Check your diet to see if it regularly includes:
- Carbonated Beverages
- Wheat Gluten
- Dairy Products
- Salty Foods (such as chips, frozen pizza, and deli meats)
Exercise regularly to help promote weight loss and circulation. Exercising regularly can make a person’s face look slimmer by helping shed excess weight. If a person does not have excess weight to lose, then exercise will also promote good circulation. This alone may help to reduce puffiness in the face.
Drinking more water is also important to stay hydrated and reduce water retention. Staying hydrated will help to reduce puffiness in the face by reducing water retention. People who do not drink enough water might be holding onto it in different areas of the body, including the face.
Limit or abstain from alcohol. Drinking alcohol may increase facial puffiness, so it’s best to abstain entirely if possible or at least limit the drinks. Stick to no more than 1 alcoholic drink per day for women or 2 per day for men.
Try performing some facial exercises. While there is no scientific evidence that they make a face thinner, they could still help tone the face. Here are some exercises to try:
- Make a fish face by sucking in the cheeks and pursing the lips. Hold this for a few seconds.
- Tilt the head back so your chin points toward the ceiling. Drop the lower jaw and then raise it up. Hold this position for a few seconds while you stretch the neck.
- Shift your gaze to the left for a few seconds, then to the right.
- Shut your eyes tightly and scrunch up your face for a few seconds, then open it as wide as you are able to.
Give yourself a facial massage after a workout. Press your fingertips against the face starting at the forehead and working downwards to the temples and cheeks. Then, press your fingertips against the sides of the nose and move them out towards the cheeks and downwards. Next, press your fingers along the jawline and work it towards the underside of the jaw.
The massage will help to promote better circulation and drainage of lymphatic fluid from the face. Lymphatic fluid is what builds up around the lymph nodes. If too much of it builds up, it may cause swelling in different parts of the body.
For people who are looking for a thinner-looking face, there are some safe and non-invasive solutions to explore. Choosing a proper hairstyle and doing makeup techniques can help give the appearance of a thinner face.
In order to actually make the face thinner, exercise, a healthy diet, and other lifestyle changes must be considered. Results will be visible and your overall health will also be improved.